Points to remember
- Skin the fish fillets, by gripping one end and sliding your knife underneath the flesh.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking powder and turmeric, then make a well in the dry ingredients.
- Pour in the sparkling water – and beer – if using. Whisk to a pourable, lump-free batter.
- Heat the oil to 180C, filling the pan to no more than 1/3 full.
- Meanwhile, dust the fillets with flour and then dip the fish into the batter. Coat evenly, lift out and let the excess drip off.
- Carefully lower the fish into the hot oil and cook for 5-8 minutes, depending on thickness.
- Carefully remove using a large slotted spoon. Drain on kitchen paper.
USING TURMERIC IN BATTER
Adding turmeric to batter gives it an attractive golden hue, a teaspoon is sufficient. Add to the dry ingredients.
LIGHT AND TASTY BATTER
Use sparkling water and/ or beer to create a light, aereated batter. The beer adds an extra depth of flavour too.