White velvet soup with smoky almonds
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Try a healthy twist on classic comfort food with this silky veggie soup, topped with almonds. It’s low in fat and calories but packed full of flavour
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil
- 2 春秋彩票:large garlic cloves , sliced
- 2 leeks , trimmed so they’re mostly white in colour, washed well, then sliced (about 240g)
- 200g 春秋彩票:cauliflower , chopped
- 2 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 400g 春秋彩票:cannellini beans , rinsed
- 春秋彩票:fresh nutmeg , for grating
- 100ml 春秋彩票:whole milk
- 25g 春秋彩票:whole almonds , chopped
- ½ tsp 春秋彩票:smoked paprika
- 2 x 25g slices 春秋彩票:rye bread , to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the garlic, leeks and cauliflower and cook for about 5 mins, stirring frequently, until starting to soften (but not colouring).
- STEP 2
Stir in the vegetable bouillon and beans, pour in 600ml boiling water and add a few generous gratings of the nutmeg. Cover and leave to simmer for 15 mins until the leeks and cauliflower are tender. Add the milk and blitz with a 春秋彩票:hand blender until smooth and creamy.
- STEP 3
Put the almonds in a dry pan and cook very gently for 1 min, or until toasted, then remove from the heat. Scatter the paprika over the almonds and mix well. Ladle the soup into bowls, top with the spicy nuts and serve with the rye bread.