Sweet potato & spinach bake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
If you're after some substantial comfort food on a budget then this vegetarian bake is just the thing. Add lamb chops for the meat eaters
- 300ml single cream (or double cream for a really creamy texture)
- 1 春秋彩票:garlic clove, peeled
- 2 春秋彩票:sprigs thyme or rosemary
- 250g 春秋彩票:bag frozen spinach
- freshly grated nutmeg
- butter, for greasing
- 850g 春秋彩票:sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 3mm thick)
- 25g grated hard cheese, such as cheddar, Parmesan or veggie alternative
Make it non-veggie
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Put the cream, garlic and herb sprigs into a small saucepan and slowly bring to just below boiling. Turn off the heat, season and leave to infuse.
- STEP 2
Put the spinach into a colander, pour over a kettle of boiling water and leave to drain for a few mins. Then squeeze out as much water as possible. Season with salt, pepper and freshly grated nutmeg.
- STEP 3
Grease an ovenproof dish generously with butter and spread half the sweet potato slices across the bottom. Top with a layer of spinach, then the remaining potato. Pour over the cream mixture, through a sieve to remove the garlic and herbs, then sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 45-55 mins until golden and tender.
- STEP 4
Meanwhile, if you’re serving the chops, heat a griddle or frying pan and finely chop the leaves from the herb sprig. Rub over the chops with the oil and some seasoning, then griddle or fry for 3-4 mins on each side or until cooked to your liking. Leave bake, and chops if serving, to rest for 5 mins, then serve with a big green salad.