Chive waffles with maple & soy mushrooms
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
These delicious vegan pancakes can be sweet or savoury and are super adaptable to every taste. A great low-calorie breakfast or brunch option
- 500ml soya milk or rice milk
- 1 tsp cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 100g 春秋彩票:cooked, mashed sweet potato
- 150g polenta
- 130g 春秋彩票:plain flour
- 1 tbsp 春秋彩票:baking powder
- small bunch chives , snipped
- 1 tbsp 春秋彩票:maple syrup
- 2 tsp 春秋彩票:light soy sauce
- 6 春秋彩票:large mushrooms , thickly sliced
- 春秋彩票:olive oil , for frying
- soya yogurt , to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat the waffle iron. Mix the soya or rice milk with the vinegar and rapeseed oil (don’t worry if it starts to split), then whisk in the sweet potato mash. Tip the polenta, flour and baking powder into a bowl, mix and make a well in the centre. Add a large pinch of salt, then slowly pour in the milk mixture and whisk to make a batter. Stir in half the chives.
- STEP 2
Pour enough batter into the waffle iron to fill and cook for 4-5 mins. Lift out the waffle, keep it warm and repeat with the remaining mixture until you have six waffles.
- STEP 3
Meanwhile, mix the maple syrup with the soy sauce. Brush it over the mushrooms and season with pepper. Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the mushrooms on both sides until they are browned and cooked through – make sure they don’t burn at the edges. Serve the waffles topped with mushrooms, add a spoonful of soya yogurt, if you like, and scatter over the remaining chives.