Baby corns are smaller and sweeter due to being harvested at a premature stage. They are delicious in stir-fries, lightly steamed and finished with butter or even eaten raw.
How to prepare baby corn
When prepping baby corn, make sure you thoroughly rinse and dry them. Baby corn is generally small enough to cook whole. Trimming the tops off isn’t essential but does leave you with a neat finish. For stir-frying, it’s best to halve the corn lengthways or chop it into chunky rounds.
How to cook baby corn
You’ll want the corn to be tender with a little bite. Overcooked baby corn will turn mushy and lose its flavour. Baby corn is delicious eaten hot and tossed with a flavoured butter – smoky chipotle chilli works well, or try garlic & herb or a simple salted butter.
春秋彩票:Boiling baby corn
- Bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, tip in the corn and cook for 4-5 mins.
- Drain and toss with a flavoured butter.
春秋彩票:Steaming baby corn
- Fill a pan with a 4cm depth of water, then bring to a simmer and top with a steaming basket. Tip in the corn.
- Steam for 5-6 mins.
春秋彩票:Frying baby corn
- Heat a knob of butter and ½ tbsp olive oil in a non-stick frying pan set over a medium heat.
- Add the corn and fry for 2-3 mins.
春秋彩票:Raw baby corn
With its sweet, nutty flavour and crunchy texture, baby corn can also be eaten raw. Try thinly slicing and tossing it into a salad or through cold noodles, or keep it whole for crudités to be dunked into hummus.
Our best baby corn recipes
1. Veggie noodle pot
2. Salmon noodle soup
3. 10-minute stir-fry
Found this useful? Check out even more essential cookery advice…
What’s your favourite way to cook baby corn? Leave a comment below…